1. Brown sausages in oil in a frying pan, remove to a casserole dish.
2. Fry onions until golden, add mushrooms and pepper.
3. Stir in flour and mustard, stir while cooking until lightly browned then remove from heat.
4. Gradually add stock, Worcestershire and tomato sauce, cloves and salt. Return to heat. Stirring all the while, bring to the boil then pour mixture over sausages.
5. Cover and cook in a moderate oven for 45 minutes.
Serve with crusty bread and garnish with parley or thyme.
Whatever method you use they should be cooked right through, but still juicy.
Cook them slowly to ensure that the skins do not burst. This is vital because
the skin helps to retain moisture, once it bursts it cannot do this. A burst
skin is either a sign of a bad sausage or a good sausage ruined by fast cooking.