1. Mix together the sugar and sifted flour into a bowl.
2. Whisk the milk, butter and egg together in another bowl then add to the flour mixture.
3. Lightly whisk the mixture until smooth. Do not over mix, as the pikelets will be tough when cooked.
4. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat and brush with a little melted butter.
5. Using a tablespoon, drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the pan.
6. Cook until bubbles form on the top of the pikelets.
7. Turn over and cook for a further 1-2 minutes or until cooked through.
8. Place onto a plate and repeat with the remaining mixture, lightly greasing the pan in between each batch.
9. Serve the pikelets warm or at room temperature. Spread with jam and cream, butter or your favourite topping.