- Preheat a non-stick skillet set over medium heat.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Make a well in centre of flour mixture and set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together milk, ricotta, eggs, and vanilla until well blended.
- Add butter, orange zest and orange juice to milk mixture and blend until combined.
- Immediately pour milk mixture into flour mixture and whisk just to combined (batter will be slightly lumpy).
- Pour 1/3 cup batter onto buttered skillet and cook until bubbles begin to appear on surface and the bottom is golden brown, then flip and cook opposite side until golden brown.
- Place all the ingredients into a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Stirring frequently, bring the mix to a gentle boil. Continue cooking until the liquid in the pan has reduced to the consistency of a sauce. Taste for seasoning, add sugar or orange juice to taste.
- Let cool in the pan. Remove the star anise before serving.
Serve layered, with the compote, passionfruit pulp, and whipped cream.
Recipe created by Chef Sophie Budd.