- Mix dark soy sauce and five-spice powder together and rub over lamb shanks. Place shanks in a dish that will fit in your steamer, cover with cling film and leave at room temperature for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, remove cling film and put steamer on to heat with plenty of water in it. When steamer is ready, add lamb shanks and steam for 2 hours at a medium simmer. (Check the water level occasionally and top up if necessary so as not to let it boil dry.)
- After 2 hours or when shanks are tender, remove from steamer.
- Strain liquid that has collected in dish and reserve. Skim off any fat that has risen to the top and discard. Keep lamb shanks warm (in the turned off steamer is a good place).
- To make the sauce, combine all the ingredients, except the paste and peanut oil, in a bowl.
- Heat a wok or saucepan over medium heat, then add peanut oil. When hot, add chilli bean paste, stirring for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Stir in the sauce ingredients. Bring to the boil, then turn off or remove from heat.
Place shanks on your serving dish and pour over the sauce.
Based in WA's pristine South West, Amelia Park hand select the highest quality lamb from the best farmers in the region. Amelia Park brings restaurant quality products for you to use at home and are sold in Woolworths and IGA, as well as specialty grocers and butchers. Find out more about their lamb here.