- Wash, trim and quarter figs and add to a large bowl with the lemon juice, sugar and the vanilla bean, split lengthwise.
- Using a potato masher, lightly mash the mixture to combine. Cover and refrigerate overnight to allow the flavours to develop.
- Transfer mix to a large, thick based saucepan. Place over low heat and stir to dissolve the sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil then continue to cook over low heat for 45 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Meanwhile, sterilise glass jars and lids by boiling over the stove for 10 minutes. This recipe makes approximately one large or two smaller jars.
- Once the mixture has thickened, remove from heat to cool slightly. Remove vanilla bean from the jam. Carefully ladle into warm jars and seal.
Serve on crusty bread as a jam, stir through good quality vanilla ice with a splash of Muscat as a decadent dessert, or add to a cheeseboard.