2 October 2015
Each contestant, representing one of four major food producing regions including the Gascoyne, Kimberley, Peel and Swan Valley & Surrounds, will prepare and cook a dish that represents the flavours of our State on a plate using the best of WA produce. The calibre of the dishes entered has taken the competition to a new level this year, making the judges decision tougher than ever.
- Cone Bay Barramundi with green mango and mizuna salad by Arylene Westlake-Jennings
- Cone Bay Barramundi with bush tomato relish by Natalie Newman
- Gascoyne seafood broth with Shark Bay Wild Prawns by Jerolina Rankin of Yalardy
- Crispy skinned Shark Bay Whiting with Carnarvon zucchini ribbons and Carnarvon chilli, fresh corn and basil by Julie Anderson
- Swan Valley & Surrounds
- Pepperberry beef with lemon myrtle crème, asparagus and pearl barley by Carly Rossbach-Smith
- Lemon myrtle marron laksa inspired curry by Matt Cook
- Peel Sea Mullet fillets with gremolata and mediterranean potatoes by Brooke Nazzari
- Harvey Beef eye fillet seasoned with bush tomato, native thyme and pepperberry with red wine jus. Served on top of a pecorino potato gallet, sautéed spring onions, truffle infused broad bean puree and garnished with pickled beetroot, crispy parsnip and carrot shards by Rachel Hartshorn
The Grand Finale will be one of the highlights of the Margaret River Gourmet Escape event on 22 November. Four finalists will battle it out during a 60 minute session at the Gourmet Village to decide which regional dish will win the annual title of WA’s Signature Dish.
A prestigious judging panel will make the ultimate decision on our State’s dish, including Guillaume Brahimi (Bistro Guillaume), Matt Preston (Masterchef) and Shane Osborn (from Michelin starred St Betty’s restaurant and Arcane in Hong Kong).
The winner receives a two day mentorship with Guillaume Brahimi at Bistro Guillaume in Crown Perth and a trip for two to a luxurious remote Western Australian location for a wine and dine experience.
Margaret River Gourmet Escape attendees can sample the four finalist dishes at a Buy West Eat Best regional pop up restaurant. The ‘People’s Choice’ WA’s Signature Dish Trophy will be awarded to the most popular regional dish.
- ENDS -
Amy Sassella-Otley Clarity Communications M: 0400 657 117 E: [email protected]
About WA’s Signature Dish
WA’s Signature Dish is a state-wide cooking competition that promotes local produce and seeks to unearth our State on a Plate. Entries opened on Monday 10 August and closed Monday 21 September.
WA’s Signature Dish is organised by the Department of Agriculture and Food through its local food labelling program Buy West Eat Best, and supported by its partners the Kimberley Development Commission, Gascoyne Food Council, Peel Development Commission, City of Mandurah, City of Swan for Swan Valley Region, Farmer Jacks, Rockcliffe’s Wines, Crown Casino, The West Australian, WA Fishing Industry Council, Kleenheat and Source Certain.
For more information on WA’s Signature Dish and Buy West Eat Best visit www.wasignaturedish.com.au.