6 October 2015
Heavy-hitting food judge Matt Preston will join the judging panel for the glittering Grand Finale of WA’s Signature Dish at the Gourmet Village on Sunday 22 November at Leeuwin Estate Winery as part of Margaret River Gourmet Escape presented by Audi.
Matt will join superstar chefs Guillaume Brahimi (Bistro Guillaume Perth and Melbourne, and Guillaume Sydney) and Shane Osborn (Arcane Restaurant, Hong Kong) to ultimately crown WA’s Signature Dish for 2015.
WA’s Signature Dish encourages amateur cooks and passionate foodies to submit a recipe that represents the flavours of WA, using one or more “hero ingredients” from the Gascoyne, Kimberley, Swan Valley & Surrounds and Peel. Eight of WA’s most talented home cooks will compete in a semi final cook-off event in Perth on 14 October.
The four remaining semi-finalists will then work with a WA-based Mentor Chef, including Chris Taylor (Fraser’s), Peter Manifis (InContro), Kiren Mainwaring (Co-Op Dining) and Jason Hutchen (Redmanna Waterfront Restaurant), to help them perfect their dish in preparation for the Grand Finale.
The Grand Finale will see contestants battle it out onstage in the Gourmet Village in front of a huge crowd during a 60 minute live cook off event where they will prepare, cook and present their dish to the judges at the Miele Chef’s Theatre (11.30am to 12.30pm).
The winner of WA’s Signature Dish receives a two day mentorship with Guillaume Brahimi at Bistro Guillaume in Crown Perth and a trip for two to a luxurious remote Western Australian location for a wine and dine experience.
Each of the final four dishes will be available to sample at a Buy West Eat Best pop up restaurant in the Gourmet Village, and tasters will have the opportunity to cast their vote in the People’s Choice WA’s Signature Dish Trophy awarded to the most popular regional dish.The WA’s Signature Dish Grand Finale is one of many exciting events and activities taking place at the Gourmet Village over the weekend of 21 and 22 November. Other highlights include:
- Canon Food Photography Classes, which proved extremely popular when they were introduced last year
- Miele Chef’s Theatre – Some of our highest profile chefs including Marco Pierre White, Rick Stein, Matt Moran, Gaggan Anand, Sat Bain, George Calombaris, and Jock Zonfrillo – will take to the stage and share their skills and experience during live cooking demonstrations. Guaranteed entertainment!
- Farm to Table presented by Winning Appliances – cooking demonstrations using West Australian produce Fermenting Workshops – an introduction to fermenting foods by Author of ‘Like Grandma Used to Make’ Rebecca Sullivan
- High Tea with Adriano Zumbo
- Lurpak Go Freestyle 15-minute sandwich making masterclasses
- Margaret River Icon tastings – for appreciators of fine Margaret River Cabernet and Chardonnay wines
- Wine Lounge – a laid back way of tasting and learning more about Western Australian wine in a dedicated program hosted by wine writer Nick Stock and including some of the regions top wine makers
- Gourmet Village Brewhouse – featuring beer and cider masterclasses and the chance to indulge in quality local craft brews.
Industry Council, Kleenheat and Source Certain.
For more information on the competition visit www.wasignaturedish.com.au and follow Buy West Eat Best on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
To view the range of events taking place visit http://www.gourmetescape.com.au and see the Gourmet Village page. To purchase Gourmet Village tickets visit ticketek.com.au or call 132 849.
- ENDS -
WA media enquiries: Janine Pittaway, Bright Communications [email protected] or 0418 911 796
National media enquiries: Sophie Foster, The Cru Media + Communications [email protected] or 0410 789 908